Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMDCubed - BMD Model Importer
[Image: CpEsEUA.png]

GitHub Repository: BMDCubed
Current Release: v0.2

BMDCubed is a command line tool for converting Collada DAE files exported from 3DSMax into Nintendo's BMD model format. It supports both static and skinned meshes.

The program can be used by dragging the DAE onto it. The resulting BMD file can be used in most of Nintendo's first party games, including Super Mario Sunshine and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is untested, and it is known that Mario Kart: Double Dash!!! will crash if models from BMDCubed are imported into the game.

Please Note: At this point in time, BMDCubed only works with Collada DAE meshes created from 3DSMax 2015 and higher. If you are not familiar with 3DSMax, you may skin and model a mesh in the modeling program of your choice, but your meshes must be exported to DAE from 3DSMax to be compatible with BMDCubed. This limitation may be removed at a later time.

Also Note: Player characters, such as Mario in Super Mario Sunshine and Link in The Wind Waker, have hard-coded properties such as material names and bone structures. For the foreseeable future, replacing these characters with custom meshes is not advised. Since the games expect certain things to be in the mesh, they may cause issues or crash if meshes without those things are imported. It appears that player character imports are playable with Dolphin if panic handlers are turned off, but as of right now custom PCs are not hardware compatible.

In terms of materials, BMDCubed is designed to generate working BMDs with the most basic materials. I am planning to create a BMD material editor with the help of another user down the line, but currently there are no solid plans. When this material editor is created, it will allow for game-specific lighting (Super Mario Sunshine, The Wind Waker) and also the addition of goop for custom player meshes (Super Mario Sunshine).

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker makes use of another version of BMD called BDL. Valid BDL files can be created from BMDs made by BMDCubed by passing them through bmd2bdl.

Please direct any questions to this thread, and any issue you may find with the program to the GitHub repository's Issues page.

Resources

To-Do List
  • Tutorial for using MaxBMD to re-skin native BMDs
nice
Incredible, thanks for everything!
When ever I use this program I get this error message. I don't know what to do to fix it! Can anyone help me?
[Image: FOJDEH7.png]